To configure a new instance of BOSSDesk, you will need to have:
- a Privileged User in BOSSDesk
- a privileged Domain User account with Active Directory Read permissions for use by the service
- a Server within your Domain running Windows 2008 SP1 or later, with .NET Framework 4.6 or later installed (.NET FrameWork Download)
Please log in to your privileged BOSSDesk account prior to attempting the configuration steps below.
Setting Company information (Optional but Recommended):
- Select the "Settings" option from the BOSSDesk sidebar menu.
Scroll to the "Account Management" section of the "Settings" page.
On this page you can personalize your BOSSDesk by setting the following:
Company Logo – Displayed on all BOSSDesk web pages.
Company Name – This information appears on web pages, reports and e-mails.
Welcome Text – Displayed on the BOSSDesk login web page.
Time Zone – Dropdown list of world wide time zone regions. Identifies the time zone for the
central location where services will be managed.
Currency – Dropdown list of international monetary identifiers.
Once you have set each of these items click "Save" to apply them.
Configuring Email Templates (Optional but Recommended):
Click the "Settings" item in the BOSSDesk sidebar and scroll to "Email Settings"
- Header and Footer: Configure the e-mail format used on all e-mail correspondence generated by BOSSDesk. you can use HTML as well as BOSSDesk placeholders here
- Postboxes: you can add additional email addresses to the BOSSDesk application by selecting the “add” button in this menu
- Templates: Customize the e-mail content for specific process trigger points, such as user notification templates, the new Agent ‘Welcome’ e-mail message and the ‘Forgot Your Password’ e-mail response.
- Notifications: you can change the settings governing what types of changes notify your technicians or users here.
Installing and Configuring the SiteAgent Service (Required):
Select the "Settings" option from the BOSSDesk sidebar menu.
Scroll to the "Configuration Management" section of the "Settings" page.
Select the "SiteAgent" option.
On the "SiteAgent" Page on the right-hand side, select the "New SiteAgent" button.
- Enter a name for this instance of the SiteAgent (We recommend using the name of the domain) and click "Save".
- copy the displayed API key to somewhere for later use in the server installation.
Return to the main "SiteAgent" page by clicking the "SiteAgent" tab at the top of the screen.
Select "Download SiteAgent".
Move the downloaded installer to the prepared Windows Server.
Open a Command Prompt as Administrator (right click, "Run as Administrator").
Run the installer from the administrator command prompt, and complete the installation steps. Once the installation is complete and you click finish, a window should open prompting you to configure the agent.
In the configuration window, enter the name of your BOSSDesk instance (what preceeds ".bossdesk.io" in your url) and paste the API key you copied earlier into the designated fields and click next.
Enter the hostname for the domain controller, as well as the credentials for the domain user mentioned in the prerequisites into the allotted fields. then, select the number of threads you would like to use (default is 5), as well as what AD groups you would like to import for use in organizing your users in BOSSDesk, and click next.
- If the credentials were accepted, you should see a list of all of your Active Directory OUs in the "Active Directory" box. Check the boxes of the OUs you wish to import into BOSSDesk (You can also select or deselect specific users), then click the green arrow between the 2 boxes (the one pointing right) to move the OUs to the list to be imported. Once all the OUs you wish to import are in the "Import List" box, click "Sync Now" to sync these assets immediately to BOSSDesk, then click next.
14. Enter any IP ranges you would like to scan for devices (in the format - ) and click add.
15. Once you have added all the ranges, click the magnifying glass to scan.
16. When the scan has completed, Select the devices you wish to add to your BOSSDesk and click the cloud button to sync them.
17. Once the sync is complete, click next.
18. Select which scheduled tasks you would like to turn on, and select what time and which days you would like them to run on. (Note: scheduled tasks cannot be run within 30 minutes of one another). Once the schedules are correct, click the green check mark in the bottom right corner to finalize these settings.
19. After the Sync is run for the first time, you should be able to see details listed next to the SiteAgent in your BOSSDesk SiteAgent Settings page.
Additional Configuration of SiteAgent
You can also change several additional settings related to the SiteAgent by doing the following:
Go to the server the SiteAgent is installed on.
Navigate to the system tray on the taskbar.
Right click on the BOSSDesk icon.
Here you can edit how often the agent communicates with BOSSDesk, checks for updates, and specify prefixes to ignore in Active Directory
You have now completed the Basic Setup.
Next: Configuring Ticket Management
Other Helpful Topics:
Setting up and using Remote Tools
Adding to your Knowledge Base
Setting up Remote Tools